Territorial Scope

The two categories of countries within the Green Card system:

Motorists with vehicles registered in the countries displayed in lime green on the map above generally no longer need a Green Card when entering other countries displayed in lime green. They enjoy sufficient motor third party liability insurance cover while circulating on their territories.

When travelling to a country displayed in dark green on the map above, motorists have to order a Green Card from their insurer, unless the insurer already supplies them automatically. The Green Card confirms that the vehicle has sufficient insurance cover while abroad.

However, Swiss insurance companies may restrict cover for the countries displayed in dark green on the map by crossing out their country code on the Green Card. Whenever a country code is crossed out on a Green Card, the document does not any longer provide cover for the corresponding territory. Then it is necessary to order a new Green Card which provides the needed cover from the insurer or to conclude a frontier insurance policy when crossing the border.

Since the Green Card is valid for a limited period of time, it is important to check its validity before setting off on a trip.

In the event of an accident, the duplicate of the Green Card - if there is one - should be given to the police or the injured party. If a duplicate of the Green Card is not available, a copy will have to be made or the police will record all the relevant data in the police report.